APPLICATIONS OF METABOLIC ENGINEERING
Discussion Leader: Ivica Labuda (Givaudan Roure Plane)
- Willem de Vos (Netherlands) - Molecular biology and biotechnologly of lactic acis fermentations.
- Richard Baltz (E.I. Lily Company) - Application of molecular genetics to yield enhancement and production of novel glycopeptides in Streptomyces
IMPLICATIONS OF GENETIC ADAPTATION IN METABOLIC PATHWAYS
Discussion Leader: Peter Williams (Wales)
- Jan van der Meer (Switzerland) - Evolution of regulatory systems in catabolic pathways.
- Gerben Zylstra (Rutgers University) - Diversity of genes for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon degradation.
- Dirk Springael (Belgium) - Microbial adaptation to PCB contamination and DNA rearrangements.
MOLECULAR TOOLS IN ENVIRONMENTAL BIOTECHNOLOGY
Discussion Leader: T. Barkay (Israel)
- Mary Ann Moran (University of Georgia) - Detection of functional and taxonomic attributes of individual bacterial cells in environmental samples using in situ PCR approaches.
- Shimshon Belkin (Israel) - Monitoring bacterial responses to oxidative stress: environmental applications
MICROBIAL INTERACTIONS WITH EUKAROTES
Discussion Leader: Colleen Cavanaugh (Harvard University)
- Ned Ruby (University of Hawaii) - The Vibrio fisheri-Euprymna scolopes light organ symbiosis
- Paul Baumann (University of California Davis) - Biology of the Buchnera-aphid symbiotic association
- Steve Winans (Cornell University) - Quorum Sensing in the Rhizosphere
MEASUREMENT OF MICROBIAL PROCESSES IN SITU
Discussion Leader: Harold Drake (Germany)
- Niels Peter Revsbech (Denmark) - Biofilm metabolism studied with microscale biosensors for nitrate and methane
- Joyce Loper (Oregon State University) - In situ expression of genes mediating biological control of plant disease by Peudomonas fluorescens in the rhizosphere.
IMPORTANCE OF BIODEGRADATION PROCESSES CHARACTERIZATION TO BIOREMEDIATION
Discussion Leader: Max Haggblom (Rutgers University)
- Jim Spain (Air Force) - Biodegradation of nitro aromatics
- Caroline Harwood (University of Iowa) - Molecular inroads and insights into the anaerobic degradation of aromatic rings.
- Lisa Alvarez-Cohen (Stanford University) - Models for TCE cometabolism.
CONNECTING MICROBIAL COMMUNITY STRUCTURE WITH FUNCTION
Discussion Leader: Richard Devereux (EPA)
- David Kirchman (University of Delaware) - Degradation of natural dissolved organic material by marine bacteria: global carbon cycles from a molecular level.
- Bess Ward (University of California - Santa Cruz) - Environmental regulation of biogeochemical nitrogen cycles and linkage to community diversity and composition.
FROM LAB TO FIELD WITH HYDROCARBONS, PCBs, AND FUNGI
Discussion Leader: Eugene Madsen (Cornell University)
- Josef Zeyer (Switzerland) - Anaerobic degradation of fuels in aquifiers: Quantification of processes.
- Ken Fish (General Electric) - PCB degradation in Hudson River sediment microcosms.
- Richard Lamar (Intech One Eighty Corp.) - Evolution of fungal-based soil remediation from basic studies of wood decay
COMPETITION, COEXISTENCE AND BIOTECHNOLOGY
Discussion Leader: Hap Pritchard (Naval Research Laboratory)
- David Stahl (Northwestern University) - Competition and coexistence of sulfate-reducing and methanogenic poulations in anaerobic biofilms.
- Steve Lindow (University of California - Berkeley) - Habitat-specific gene expression: measuring habitat composition and characteristics using reporter gene fusions in situ.