Replication and DNA Damage
- Tom Kunkel [NIEHS] - "Studies of DNA replication fidelity and mismatch repair"
- Barry Glickman [University of Victoria] - "The Mystic and Reality of Mutation Research"
Session Chair: Leona Samson
Discussion Leader: Martin Marinus [University of Massachusetts]
- Leona Samson: "Cellular responses to alkylating agents"
- Isabel Mellon [University of Kentucky] - "Transcription-coupled repair"
- John Essigmann [MIT]: "Mechanism based design of novel genotoxins"
Damage-Induced Cell Cycle Effects
Session Chair: Al Fornace [NCI]
Discussion Leader: Bill Kaufmann [UNC]
- Al Fornace - "Genotoxic-stress response genes involved in growth arrest, Apoptosis, and DNA repair"
- Nikki Holbrook [NIA-NIH] - "Acute and Adaptive Responses to Environmental Stress - MAPK signaling pathways, induced gene products, and functional consequences"
Transgenic Mutation Models
Session Chair: Nancy Gorelick [Proctor and Gamble, Co.]
Discussion Leader: John Heddle [York University]
- Nancy Gorelick - "Learnings and affirmations from lacl mutational spectra"
- Tom Skopek [Merck] - "Construction of transgenic mice carrying a lacl target gene with reduced CpG content"
- Peter Glazer [Yale] - "Sources of genetic instability in cancer: Analysis using a transgenic reporter assay"
Molecular Mechanisms of Skin Carcinogenesis
Session Chair: Fredika Robertson [The Ohio State University]
Discussion Leader: John Mirsalis [SRI]
- Fredika Robertson - "Functional significance of reactive intermediates produced during multi-stage carcinogenesis"
- Ron Cannon [NIEHS] - "Understanding the molecular mechanisms of v-Ha-ras transgene activation in Tg.AC Mice"
Novel Approaches for Assessing DNA Damage
Session Chair: Mike Resnick [NIEHS]
Discussion Leader: Richard Sinden [Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A&M University]
- Ben Van Houten [UTMB-Galveston] - "QPCR measurements of oxidative DNA damage: mitochondrial damage is more extensive and persists longer than nuclear damage"
- Monica Justice [ORNL] - "Defining the molecular basis of genetic defects caused by environmental agents in the mouse"
- Dmitry Gordenin [NIEHS] - "At-Risk motifs in the genome"
Session Chair: Sam Wilson [NIEHS]
Discussion Leader: Tom Cebula [FDA]
- Harvey Mohrenweiser [LLNL] - "Genetic Variation in Genes of DNA Repair: Potential Cancer Risk Factors"
- Bill Thilly [MIT] - "Gene scanning technology and strategy for population studies"
- Steve Sommer [City of Hope National Medical Center] - "The molecular epidemiology of p53 gene mutations in human breast cancer"
Session Chair: Curt Harris [NCI]
Discussion Leader: Gerald Wogan [MIT]
- Curt Harris: "Tumor suppresor genes: At the cross roads of molecular carcinogenesis and molecular epidemiology"
- Fred Kadlubar [NCTR]: "Genetic polymorphisms, carcinogen-DNA adducts and human cancer susceptibility"
- John Groopman [Johns Hopkins University] - "Validation of biomarker measurements for exposure assessment and clinical trial intervention"
- Miroslav Radman [Institut Jacques Monod, CNRS, Paris, FRANCE] - "Biological Clocks in Genetic Toxicology"