Population Biology of Parasites - 7:30-10:00 pm
Karen Day, Oxford, Discussion Leader
- Jim Bull, University of Texas - "Evolution of parasite virulence"
- Michel Tibayrenc, Montpellier - "Molecular epidemiology and evolutionary genetics of parasitic protozoa and other pathogernic microorganisms"
- Karen Day - "Sex and malaria"
- Mark Woolhouse, Oxford University - "Schistosome immunoepidemiology: The ghost of worms past"
10:00pm - Reception
Parasite Atttachment and Invasion - 9:00am-12:30pm
Norma Andrews, Yale University School of Medicine, Discussion Leader
- Norma Andrews - "Signaling and recruitment of host Iysosomes by Trypanosoma cruzi"
- Jorge Galan, SUNY/Stony Brook - "Host cell responses to Salmonella infection"
- Pascale Cossart, Institut Pasteur, Paris - "Invasion of mammalian cells by Listeria monocytes"
- David Sibley, Washington University - "Active Invasion of mammalian cells by Toxoplasma gondii"
Monday Afternoon - Sailing / Hiking / Beach
4:00-6:00pm - Posters
Innate Host Resistance - 7:30-10:00pm
Jenefer M. Blackwell, University of Cambridge Clinical School, Discussion Leader
- Jenefer M. Blackwell - "Innate resistance to intramacrophage pathogens"
- Greg Bancroft, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine - "The interaction of macrophages and NK cells in innate resistance to intracellular pathogens"
- Dominic Kwiatkowski, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford - "Host and parasite determinants of the TNF response to malaria"
- Alain Dessein, INSERM U399, U. de la Mediterranée - "The 5q31-33 cytokine locus in the control of susceptibility to human schistosomiasis"
Immune Pathogenesis - 9:00am-12:30pm
Dan Colley, DPD/NCID/CDC, Discussion Leader
- Dan Colley - "Introduction; Dirty white hats"
- Chris Hunter, University of Pennsylvania - "Regulation of the early immune response during toxoplasmosis"
- Rick Tarleton, University of Georgia - "An immunological basis for parthogenesis in Chagas' disease?"
- Eric Pearlman, Case Western Reserve University - "Immunopathogenesis of onchocercal keratitis
- Evan Secor, DPD/CDC - "Neonatal exposure to certain idiotypes alters cytokine profiles and reduces mortality in subsequent infection with Schistosoma mansoni"
Tuesday Afternoon - Softball Game
4:00-6:00pm - Posters
Adaptations to Intracellular Parasitism - 7:30-10:00pm
David Russell, Washington University, St. Louis, Discussion Leader
- David Russell - "Why intracellular parasitism is not a degrading experience for Mycobacterium"
- Jean-Claude Antoine, Institut Pasteur - "Leishmania phagolysosomes and the intracellular trafficking of MHC molecules"
- Arturo Zychlinsky, New York University Medical center - "Apoptosis and inflammation in bacterial infections"
Alteration of Host Cells by Plant and Animal Parasites - 9:00am-12:30pm
Valerie M. Williamson, UC Davis, Discussion Leader
- Valerie M. Williamson - Introduction
- Dickson Despommier, Columbia University - "Alteration of the myocyte by Trichinella"
- Godelieve Gheysen, Universiteit Gent, Belgium - "Cytological and molecular aspects of nematode infection sites in plant roots"
- Richard S. Hussey, University of Georga, Athens, GA - "Molecular analysis of nematode secretions"
- David McK. Bird, North Carolina State University, Raleigh - "Hijacked root development: Molecular and cellular analysis of nematode feeding sites"
Wednesday Afternoon - Soccer Game
4:00-6:00pm - Posters
Parasite Blood Feeding Strategies - 7:30-10:00pm
Peter Hotez, Yale University School of Medicine, Discussion Leader
- Wolfram Bode, Max Planck-lnstitut für Biochemie - "X-ray crystallographic structure studies of arthropod anticoagulants"
- Ethan Lerner, Harvard Medical School - "Arthropod mechanisms of hematophagy"
- George Vlasuk, Corvas International - "Structure-activity relationships of helminth anticoagulants"
Michael Cappello, Yale University School of Medicine
- Daniel Goldberg, Washington University, St. Louis - "Hemoglobin digestion by hematoprotozoa"
Biochemistry and Drug Design - 9:00am-12:30pm
Jeremy Mottram, University of Glasgow, Discussion Leader
- Jeremy Mottram - "Target validation"
- William Hunter, University of Dundee - "Rational approach - trypanothione reductase"
- Dennis Schmatz, Merck & Co. - "Anti-parasitic drug discovery"
- Phil Rosenthal, University of California, San Francisco - "Cysteine proteases of Plasmodium"
Vector Biology - Thursday PM (before banquet)
Timothy P. Yoshino, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Discussion Leader
- Bruce M. Christensen, University of Wisconsin, Madison - "Cellular and biochemical factors influencing vector competence in mosquito-borne diseases"
- Anthony A. James, University of California, lrvine - "Molecular analyses of mosquito-malaria interactions"
- Timothy P. Yoshino - "Shistosomes without snails: Development of an ex vivo factor model for studying trematode-snail interactions"
Roy Anderson, Oxford University
"Evolutionary and population dynamic processes in the
interaction between infectious agents and the host's immune system