Sunday, March 2 - 7:30 to 9:30 PM
- Tomas Ganz Welcome
- R. Lehrer, Discussion Leader - "Antimicrobial peptides of tunicates"
- M. Leippe - "Amoeba pores, pore-forming effector peptides of the protozoan parasite, Entamoeba histolyca'
Monday, March 3 - 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM
- J. Hoffmann, Discussion Leader - "Antimicrobial peptides in the host defense of insects"
- C. Hetru - "Insect antimicrobial peptides: structural aspects"
- E. Levashina - "Insect innate immunity: parallels with plant defense responses"
- A. Richman - "Defensin gene expression in the malaria vector mosquito, Anopheles gambiae"
Poster Session I: 4:30 to 6:00 PM - Discovery and Activity
Monday, March 3 - 7:30 to 9:30 PM
HUMAN ANTIMICROBIAL PEPTIDES
- T. Ganz, Discussion Leader - "Human epithelial defensins"
- S. Travis - "The role of epithelial antimicrobial activity in cystic fibrosis"
- M. Goldman - "The role of ß-defensis in the pathogenesis of cystic fibrosis"
- D. Mann - "Inflammation-induced liberation of an antimicrobial peptide from lactoferrin"
Tuesday, March 4 - 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM
- W. Broekaert, Discussion Leader - "General overview of plant antimicrobial peptides with focus on plant defensins"
- H. Bohlmann - "The role of thionins in plant defense"
- F. Garcia-Olmedo - "Lipid transfer proteins and other antimicrobial peptides at the second plant-pathogen interface"
- J. Bruenn - " Killer toxins; structure, function,and use as fungicides"
Poster Session I: 4:30 to 6:00 PM - Discovery and Activity (con't)
Tuesday, March 4 - 7:30 to 9:30 PM
MAMMALIAN ANTIMICROBIAL PEPTIDES
- J. Weiss, Discussion Leader - "Role and regulation of antibacterial action of mammalian Group II phospholipase A2"
- M. Zanetti - "The cathelicidin gene family"
- K. Huttner - "The antimicrobial peptides of sheep"
Wednesday, March 5 - 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM
MECHANISMS OF ACTION
- R. Hancock, Discussion Leader - "The interaction of cationic peptides with bacteria"
- M. Selsted - "Antimicrobial peptide function: insights from model membrane experiments"
- K. Lohner - "Lipid discrimination by antimicrobial and hemolytic peptides"
- K. Matsuzaki - "Mechanisms of action and membrane selectivity of amphiphhilic antimicrobial peptides"
- J. Tam - 'Design and synthesis of cyclic antimicrobial peptides"
Poster Session II: 4:30 to 6:00 PM - Mechanism of Action, Regulation, Applications
Wednesday, March 5 - 7:30 to 9:30 PM
MAMMALIAN ANTIMICROBIAL PEPTIDES
- C. Bevins, Discussion Leader - "Studies on regulated expression of mammalian antimicrobial peptides"
- Y. Engstrom - "Regulation of antimicrobial peptide genes in insects"
- M. Simmaco - "Peptide-mediated innate immunity in frogs"
Thursday, March 6 - 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM
- M. Zasloff, Discussion Leader - "Antibiotic peptide expression in states of health and disease"
- P. Elsbach - "Endogenous antibiotic proteins: from bench to bedside"
- J. Fiddes - "Protegrin antimicrobial peptides show efficacy in preclinical animal studies"
- R. Erwin - "Cost-effective manufacturing of antimicrobial peptides using gene expression vectors derived from tobacco mosaic virus"
Poster Session II: 4:30 to 6:00 PM - Mechanism of Action, Regulation, Applications (con't)
Thursday, March 6 - 7:30 to 9:30 PM
AGRICULTURAL APPLICATIONS AND WRAPUP
- T. Ganz, Discussion Leader - Business meeting, election of new chairs, plans for the future
- A. Greenland - "Engineering plants for improved microbial resistance"
- H. Boman - "Historical overview"