Sunday, June 19
Registration: 2:00 pm
Dinner: 6:00 pm
First Session: 7:30pm - 9:45 pm
1. (Sun,pm) Water chains in membrane proteins, Role in proton conductance?
Discussion Leader, William Cramer
- 7:30-7:40 - Welcome - School Director and S. Ferguson-Miller, Chair
- 7:40-7:55 - W. Cramer - "Overview of the role of H2O chains in Energy Transducing proteins"
- 7:55-8:25 - Benoit Roux - "Mechanism of proton conductance in the structurally defined H2O channel of Gramicidin"
- 8:25-8:55 - Robert Fillingame - "Route to the proton binding site in Fo subunit c of ATPsynthase"
- 8:55-9:25 - Guenter Fritzsch - "Newly resolved H2O channels in Rb. spaeroides Reaction Center"
- 9:25-9:45 - General Discussion
Monday, June 30
Breakfast: 7:30am - 8:30 am
Conference Picture: 8:30 am
Session:: 8:45am - 12:30pm
2. (Mon,am) Quinone oxidoreductases: structure and function
Discussion Leader, Tomoko Ohnishi
- 8:45-9:00 - T. Ohnishi - "New structures, new insight in Quinone oxidoreductases"
- 9:00-9:30 - Chang-An Yu - "3-D structure of beef heart bc1Complex "
- 9:30-10:00 - Ed Berry - "X-ray structure of the avian bc1 complex from crystals with the whole dimer in the asymmetric unit - Is the dimer symmetrical?"
- 10:00-10:20 - Discussion
- 10:20-10:45 - Coffee Break
- 10:45-11:15 - Bernard Trumpower - "Probing electron transfer pathways by mutational analysis of the Reiske iron sulfur protein"
- 11:15-11:45 - Thorsten Friedrich - "Structure/function of the NADH dehydrogenase fragment of E. coli Complex I"
- 11:45-12:05 - Discussants - Les Dutton and Uli Brandt
- 12:05-12:30 - General Discussion
Lunch: 12:30 pm
Poster Viewing: 5:00-6:00pm (in rooms beside the Bar)
3. (Mon,pm) Energy Coupling in ATPsynthase
Discussion Leader, Stan Dunn
- 7:30-7:45 - Stan Dunn - "Overview of current understanding and controversies in ATP synthase structure and function"
- 7:45-8:20 - Masasuke Yoshida - "Mechanism of F1-ATPase probed by chemical gadgets"
- 8:20-8:55 - Rod Capaldi - "The Stalk"
- 8:55-9:00 - Break
- 9:00-9:35 - John Walker - "Structural insights into the catalytic mechanism of F1-ATPase"
- 9:35-9:50 - Mario Amzel - "X-Ray Structure of Rat Liver F1-ATPase"
- 9:50-10:15 - Short contributions from
- Hiroshi Kanazawa - "Interaction of b and delta subunits of E. Coli ATP Synthase"
- Joachim Weber - "Site-directed tryptophan flourescence: a powerful approach to ATP-driven transporters"
Reception in the Bar - 10:15 pm
Tuesday, July 1
4. (Tues,am) O2 reduction and coupling mechanisms
Discussion Leader, Gerald Babcock
- 8:45-9:00 - G. Babcock - "Overview: current issues in oxygen reduction and proton coupling in cytochrome oxidase"
- 9:00-9:30 - Hartmut Michel - "Paracoccus cytochrome c oxidase: X-ray structure and functional implications"
- 9:30-10:00 - Shinya Yoshikawa - "Beef heart cytochrome c oxidase: X-ray structure and functional implications"
- 10:00-10:25 - Discussants: P. Rich, P. Brzezinski + general discussion
- 10:25-10:50 - Coffee Break
- 10:50-11:20 - Teizo Kitagawa - "Transient kinetic analysis of oxygen intermediates in Cytochrome Oxidase by resonance Raman spectroscopy"
- 11:20-11:50 - Marten Wikstrom - "The proton-motive function of the Heme-Copper Oxidases"
- 11:50-12:15 - Discussants: O. Einarsdottir, B. Hill
- 12:15-12:30 - General discussion
Poster Viewing: 5:00-6:00pm
5. (Tues,pm) Energy linked and Mitochondrial Transport systems
Discussion Leader, Barry Rosen
- 7:30-7:45 - B. Rosen - "Overview of developments in understanding membrane transport systems"
- 7:45-8:05 - Jianhua Wu - "Structure and mechanism of the lactose permease"
- 8:05-8:35 - Peter Maloney - "The translocation pathway of the UhpT hexose phosphate carrier"
- 8:35-8:35 - Break
- 8:45-9:15 - Wil Konings - "Secondary and ABC-multidrug resistance systems in Lactococcus lactis"
- 9:15-9:35 - Parjit Kaur - "The ABC DrrAB pump of Streptomyces"
- 9:35-10:00 - Ron Kaplan - "Mitochondrial citrate transporter"
- 10:00-10:15 - General Discussion
Wednesday, July 2
6. (Wed,am) Workshops
10:25-10:45 - Coffee Break
- 8:45-10:25 -
- 1. Electron transfer, Oxidase - Discussion Leaders: Graham Palmer, Robert Gennis
- 2. ATPsynthase F1F0 - Discussion Leaders: Wolfgang Junge, Richard Cross
- 3. Electron transfer, BC1/complex I - Discussion Leaders: Hanns Weiss, Fevzi Daldal
- 4. Transport ATPases - Discussion Leader: Michael Forgac
Afternoon: Softball practice!
7. (Wed, pm) Electron Transfer Mechanisms
Discussion Leader, Marten Wikstrom
- 7:30-7:40 - Marten Wikstrom - "Controversies and consensus in electron transfer in proteins"
- 7:45-8:15 - Victor Davidson - "Kinetics and pathway of electrons in the Methylamine dehydrogenase/amicyanin/cytochrome c complex"
- 8:15-8:45 - Les Dutton - "Control of electron transfer"
- 8:45-8:50 - Break
- 8:50-9:30 - Harry Gray - "Preferred pathways of electron transfer, experiment and theory"
- 9:30-10:00 - Dan Nocera - "Proton coupled electron transfer"
- 10:00-10:15 - General discussion
Thursday, July 3
8. (Thurs,am) Cellular Bioenergetics
Discussion Leader, Paolo Bernardi
- 9:00-9:20 - P. Bernardi - "Overview: Mitochondria in cellular Life and Death"
- 9:20-9:50 - Rosario Rizzuto - "Studying Mitochondrial Structure and Function in vivo with Targeted Recombinant Probes"
- 9:50-10:20 - Alex Tzagoloff - "Human and yeast genes required in maturation of mitochondrial respiratory complexes"
- 10:20-10:40 - Coffee Break
- 10:40-11:10 - Maurice Montal - "Mitochondria in glutamate neurotoxicity"
- 11:10-11:40 - Guido Kroemer - "Role of mitochondria in programmed cell death"
- 11:40-12:10 - Craig Thompson - "Structure and role of Bcl2 in programmed cell death"
- 12:10-12:30 - General discussion
Afternoon: Softball Game, 2:30 pm
Dinner: 6:00 pm
Last Session: 7:30-9:40 pm
9. (Thurs, pm) Review of Hot topics
Discussion Leader William Allison
7:30-8:30 - (several participants in the conference will be asked to review the developments in key areas)
9:00-9:40 - Jo Hatefi
- 8:30-9:00 - Tribute to Jo Hatefi, Chair
- R. Capaldi