The 2020 Glycosphingolipid and Sphingolipid GRC will provide a holistic approach to glycosphingolipid (GSL) and sphingolipid (SL) biology by having thematic sessions where, for example, a lipid class relevant to the community is discussed in depth. Individual sessions will have talks relating to biophysics, biochemistry, cell biology and relevance to disease/therapy in one cohesive session. The aim is to take a more integrated approach and create the space for in-depth discussions to advance the field. This will also help make the topics more accessible to newcomers to the field and to the GRS participants. Gender equality is also a primary aim and we will include a balance of talks from investigators spanning all career stages and those from outside the field who have recently become interested in this area through novel developments in their research. This will give a dynamic, vibrant and cross-generational feel to the meeting with the showcasing of female role models from all career stages.
The conference will consist of nine sessions, on the topics listed below. The conference chair is currently developing their preliminary program, which will include the names of the invited speakers and discussion leaders for each of these sessions. The preliminary program will be available by July 1, 2019. Please check back for updates.
- Glycosphingolipids: Biosynthesis, Function and Disease
- Sphingolipids and Glycosphingolipids as Modulators of Membrane Function
- Sphingolipids and Glycosphingolipids in Cell Growth and Differentiation
- Late-Breaking Topics
- Sphingolipids and Glycosphingolipids in Non-Mammalian Systems
- Keynote Session: Sphingolipids and Glycosphingolipids in Cell Biology and Disease
- Measuring and Manipulating Sphingolipids and Glycosphingolipids: Challenges and Solutions
- Ceramide Biology and Pathophysiology
- Sphingosine and Sphingosine-1-Phosphate Biology and Pathophysiology