July 13, Sunday Evening, 7:30 p.m.
Hydrogen in Nanocrystalline, Amorphous and Quasicrystalline Materials
- Discussion Leader: K. Tompa, Hungarian Academy of Sciences,
- K. F. Kelton, Washington University, St. Louis, MO USA - "Stable
Ti-Based Quasicrystal - a New Hydrogen Storage Material?"
- H. Fujii, Hiroshima University, Higashi-Hiroshima, Japan - "Hydriding
Properties of Mg-Based Nanocrystalline and/or Amorphous Alloys"
July 14, Monday Morning, 9:00 a.m.
Rare Earth Hydrides: Structure, Dynamics and Switchable Optical Properties
- Discussion Leader: P. Vajda, Ecole Polytechnique, Palaiseau,
- J. N. Huiberts, Free University, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- "Beyond the Switchable Metal-Hydride Mirror"
- J. J. Rush, NIST, Gaithersburg, MD USA - "Structure, Vibrational
Dynamics, and Local Hopping in Rare Earth Hydride Phases"
Phase Transitions in Yttrium Hydrides
- Discussion Leader: M. Y. Chou, Georgia Institute of Technology,
Atlanta, GA USA
- P. J. Kelly, Philips Research Laboratories, Eindhoven, The Netherlands
- "Car-Parrinello Calculations for Yttrium Hydrides"
July 14, Monday Evening, 7:30 p.m.
Hydrogen Dynamics and Site Occupancy
- Discussion Leader: Guenter Majer, Max Planck Institut, Stuttgart,
- N. L. Adolphi, Knox College, Galesburg, IL USA - "Where
Are the D Atoms in YD2 and YD3?: A Nuclear Magnetic
- A. V. Skripov, Urals Branch of the Academy of Sciences, Ekaterinburg,
Russia - "Hydrogen Dynamics in Laves Phase Compounds: Nuclear Magnetic
Resonance and Neutron Scattering Studies"
- Poster Session I - A. J. Maeland, Chair
July 15, Tuesday Morning
8:45 a.m. Conference photograph - near the bell
tower in back of Simon Center
9:00 a.m. Hydrogen Storage and Battery Electrode Materials I
- Discussion Leader: A. Percheron-Guégan, LCMSTR - UPR209-
CNRS, Meudon, France
- R. C. Bowman, Jr., California Institute of Technology, Pasadena,
CA USA - "New Perspectives on Substituted LaNi5 Alloys When Used for
Hydrogen Storage and Battery Electrodes"
- A. Züttel, University of Fribourg, Fribourg, Switzerland
- "AB3 Alloys Forming an AB2 Laves-Phase Structure
and Their Outstanding Hydriding Properties"
Hydrogen Storage and Battery Electrode Materials II
- Discussion Leader: J. Bloch, Nuclear Research Center, Beer-Sheva,
- H. Uchida, Tokai University, Kanagawa, Japan - " Sensitive
Features of the Rare-Earth Based Hydrogen Storage Alloys as Intermetallics
- from Kinetic and Equilibrium Viewpoints"
July 15, Tuesday Evening, 7:30 p.m.
Fundamental Studies/Thermodynamics - Diffusion
- Discussion Leader: R. Cantelli, University of Rome, Rome, Italy
- R. B. Schwarz, Los Alamos National Laboratories, Los Alamos,
NM USA - "Thermodynamics of Open Two-Phase Systems with Coherent Interfaces:
Application to Metal Hydrogen Systems"
- H. Teichler, University of Göttingen, Göttingen, Germany
- "Aspects of the Theory of Hydrogen Diffusion in Metals"
July 16, Wednesday Morning, 9:00 a.m.
Hydrogen in Multilayers
- Discussion Leader: B. Hjörvarsson, Uppsala University,
- A. Weidinger, Hahn-Meitner-Institut, Berlin, Germany - "Reversible
Switching of the Magnetic Coupling in Nb/Fe Multilayers by Hydrogen Charging"
- R. Kirchheim, University of Göttingen, Göttingen,
Germany - "Hydrogen Diffusion and Metal Hydride Formation in Multilayers"
- M. Strongin, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, NY USA -
"The Physics and Chemistry of Hydrogen in Nb/Pd Bilayers and Multilayers"
July 16, Wednesday Evening, 7:30 p.m.
Hydrogen in Novel Materials
- Discussion Leader: G. G. Libowitz, Morristown, NJ USA
- G. Auffermann, Institute for Inorganic Chemistry, Aachen, Germany
- "High-Pressure Synthesis of Ternary Metal Hydrides"
- C. M. Jensen, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI USA - "Progress
Toward Practical Applications of Metal Dihydrogen Complexes"
- Poster Session II - A. J. Maeland, Chair
July 17, Thursday Morning, 9:00 a.m.
Hydrogen-Defect Interactions: Experimental
- Discussion Leader: N. R. Moody, Sandia National Laboratories,
Livermore, CA USA
- W. W. Gerberich, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN USA
- "Hydrogen Effects on Dislocation Emission: Nanoindentation and Atomic
- C. Buckley, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL USA - "A
Quantitative Analysis of Platelet Vacancies in the Aluminum Hydrogen System"
Hydrogen-Defect Interactions: Theoretical
- Discussion Leader: D. K. Ross, Salford University, Salford,
- M. I. Baskes, Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, CA USA
- "An Atomistic Study of the Interaction of Hydrogen with Dislocation
Locks in Nickel"
July 17, Thursday Evening, 7:30 p.m.
General Interest Lecture
- Discussion Leader: G. Sandrock, Sunatech, Inc., Ringwood, NJ
- J. S. Cannon, Senior Energy Fellow, Inform, Inc. New York, NY
USA - "The Transition to a Hydrogen-Based Transportation System"
July 18, Friday Morning, Depart Henniker