Chromosome organization and DNA topology
chair: Nick Cozarelli
- Nicholas Cozzarelli, University of California, Berkeley - "Roles of topisomerases in bacterial chromosome segregation"
- Howard Nash, NIMH - "The role of tyrosine-DNA phosphodiesterases in the repair of topoisomerase-DNA covalent complexes"
- Timothy Richmond, ETH Zurich - "Structure of the nucleosome core particle at 2.8 Å resolution"
- Barbara Meyer, University of California, Berkeley - "Chromosome segregation in C. elegans and its
relationship to X-chromosome dosage compensation"
- Tuneko Okazaki, Fujita Health University - "Mammalian centromere function"
Initiation of DNA replication
chair: Nancy Kleckner
- Nancy Kleckner, Harvard University - "Role(s) of SeqA protein in DNA replication initiation"
- David Bates, University of New Mexico - "The transcriptional activation of DNA replication initiation"
- Stephen Bell, Massachusetts Institute of Technology - "The architecture and regulation of the ORC-origin complex"
- Thomas Kelly, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine - "Control of DNA replication in S. pombe"
- Carol Newlon, UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School - "Homology-dependent maintenance of a yeast chromosome"
chair: Bonny Brewer
- Stanley Cohen, Stanford University School of Medicine - "Replication of linear plasmids of Streptomyces"
- Deepak Bastia, Duke University - "Mechanism of initiation and termination of DNA replication"
- Dhruba Chattoraj, NCI, National Institutes of Health - "Requirements for origin-opening in plasmid P1"
- Bonita Brewer, University of Washington - "The control of replication origins in yeast chromosomes"
- Susan Gerbi, Brown University - "Initiation of DNA replication in yeast and flies"
Ends of chromosomes
chair: Margarita Salas
- Margarita Salas, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid - "Protein-primed replication of bacteriophage ø29 DNA"
- Kathleen Collins, University of California, Berkeley - "Structure and function in the telomerase RNP"
- Toru Nakamura, University of Colorado - "Catalytic Subunit of Telomerase in Schizosaccharomyces pombe"
- Virginia Zakian, Princeton University - "Telomere dynamics in Saccharomyces"
- Lori Wallrath, University of Iowa - "Mechanisms of position effect variegation at Drosophila telomeres"
chair: Louise Clarke
- Stuart Austin, NCI-FCRDC - "Maintenence of the Shigella large virulence plasmid: a "killer" type system which stabilizes but doesn't kill"
- Nancy Trun, NCI, National Institutes of Health - "A novel three gene system for condensing chromosomes in E. coli"
- John Carbon, University of California - "Centromere/kinetochore function in budding yeast"
- Louise Clarke, University of California - "The fission yeast model for the higher eukaryotic centromere"
- Gary Karpen, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies - "Regulation of centromere function in Drosophila"
Forces moving chromosomes
chair: M. Andrew Hoyt
- Sota Hiraga, Kumamoto University School of Medicine - "Intracellular distribution of Muk proteins in Escherichia coli: finding of cytoskeleton-like filamentous structure"
- Harold Erickson, Duke University Medical Center - "Assembly of cell division protein FtsZ into cytoskeletal filaments"
- Frank Solomon, Massachusetts Institute of Technology - "Dissection of microtubule assembly pathways"
- M. Andrew Hoyt, The Johns Hopkins University - "Mitotic motors in S. cerevisiae"
- Terry Orr-Weaver, Massachusetts Institute of Technology - "Attachments between sister chromatids and proper chromosome segregation"
DNA rearrangements and site specific recombination
chair: Jim Broach
- David Sherratt, University of Oxford - "Assembly & action of a recombination machine"
- James Broach, Princeton University - "A cell-type-specific recombinational enhancer dictates donor preference during mating type interconversion in yeast"
- Piet Borst, The Netherlands Cancer Institute - "DNA rearrangements and telomeric silencing controlling antigenic variation in trypanosomes"
- Meng-Chao Yao, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center - "Control of precise DNA deletion during Tetrahymena nuclear differentiation"
- Susanna Lewis, University of Toronto - "Hairpin DNA metabolism in mammals: implications for genome stability"
Chromosomes and the cell cycle
chair, Tamar Enoch
- Alan Grossman, Massachusetts Institute of Technology - "Chromosome segregation and development in Bacillus subtilis"
- Andrew Wright, Tufts Medical School - "Chromosome behaviour during the cell cycle in bacteria visualized using green fluorescent protein"
- Forrest Spencer, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine - "The spindle assembly checkpoint"
- Gary Gorbsky, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center - "Kinetochore signaling of cell cycle checkpoints in M phase"
- Tamar Enoch, Harvard Medical School - "Cell cycle arrest and recovery in fission yeast"
chair: Jef Boeke
- Tania Baker, Massachusetts Institute of Technology - "Architecture of Mu transposase: construction, remodeling and destruction"
- Abram Gabriel, Rutgers University - "cDNA insertions at double strand break sites in yeast"
- Jef Boeke, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine - "A family of retrotransposon endonucleases"
- Harald Biessmann, University of California, Irvine - "Retrotransposons in Drosophila telomere elongation"