chair: Nick Cozzarelli
|Aug 1, Sunday 7:30 PM||I. Chromosome Structure|
- Wendy Bickmore, MRC Human Genetics Unit, Edinburgh
"Functional compartmentalisation of chromosomes in the mammalian nucleus"
- John Sedat, U of California, San Francisco
"New insights into the 3-dimensional structure of interphase chromosomes using EM tomography and optical microscopy"
- Carl Wu, NCI, NIH, Bethesda
"ATP-dependent remodeling of Chromatin"
- Anca Segall, San Diego State University, San Diego
"Dissecting biochemical pathways: a new application for synthetic combinatorial peptide libraries"
- Nick Cozzarelli, U. of California, Berkeley
"Mechanisms of chromosomal unlinking"
chair: Wendy Bickmore
|Aug 2, Monday 9 AM||II. Chromosome Dynamics|
- Deepak Bastia, Duke U, Durham
"Mechanism of action of a replication check point"
- Sota Hiraga, Kumamoto U School of Medicine
"Chromosome dynamics in E. coli"
- Yuval Blat, Harvard U
"Cohesin binding to yeast chromosome"
- Group photo/Coffee
- Kim Nasmyth, Institute of Molecular Pathology, Vienna
"Establishing and destroying sister chromatid cohesion"
- Sue Biggins, U of California, San Francisco
"Sister chromatid separation and segregation"
chair: Deepak Bastia
|Aug 2, Monday 7:30 PM||III. Initiation of DNA Replication|
- Bonnie Brewer, U of Washington, Seattle
"A genomic view of chromosome replication using DNA chips"
- Don Helinski, U of California, San Diego
"Replication initiation of a broad host range plasmid"
- Saleem Khan, U of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
"Initiation and termination of plasmid rolling-circle replication"
- Mike O'Donnell, Rockefeller U, New York
"Assembly of replication forks at the origin of E. coli"
- Amar KlarNCI-FCRDC
"Orientation of DNA application establishes mating type switching pattern in S. pombe"
chair: Don Helinski
|Aug 3, Tuesday 9 AM||IV. Regulation of DNA Replication|
- Howard Cedar, Hebrew U Medical School, Jerusalem
"The role of DNA methylation in development"
- Dhruba Chattoraj, NCI, NIH, Bethesda
"Origin as a negative regulator of DNA replication"
- Elliot Crooke, Georgetown U Medical Center, Washington DC
"Regulation of chromosomal replication by control of the initiation activity of DnaA protein"
- Susan Forsburg, Salk Institute, La Jolla
"MCM proteins in fission yeast DNA replication: structure and function"
- John Newport, U of California, San Diego
"Regulation of eukaryotic DNA replication during the cell cycle"
chair: Virginia Zakian
|Aug 3, Tuesday 7:30 PM||V. Replication at Chromosome Ends|
- Margarita Salas, U Autonoma de Madrid
"Protein-primed replication at the ends of bacteriophage ø29 DNA"
- Virginia Zakian, Princeton U
"Maintenance of repeated DNA in yeast"
- Julia Cooper, U of Colorado Health Science Center, Denver
"Telomere function during mitosis and meiosis in fission yeast"
- Titia de Lange, Rockefeller U, New York
"Mechanisms of telomere function"
- Russell Digate, U of Maryland School of Pharmacy, Baltimore
"Mechanism of action of type I topoisomerases"
chair: Allan Spradling
|Aug 4, Wednesday 9 AM||VI. Centromeres|
- Robin Allshire, MRC Human Genetics Unit, Edinburgh
"Centromere and telomere structure and function in fission yeast"
- Barbara Funnell, U of Toronto, Canada
"The Role of ATP and nucleotide switches in P1 Plasmid Partition"
- Gary Karpen, Salk Institute, La Jolla
"Regulation of Centromere Function in Drosophila"
- Peter Sorger, MIT, Cambridge
"Building a simple kinetochore"
- Kevin Sullivan, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla
"Chromatin structure and assembly at the kinetochore"
chair: Terry Orr-Weaver
|Aug 4, Wednesday 7:30 PM||VII. Chromosome Segregation|
- Stuart Austin, NCI-FCRDC, Frederick
"E. coli chromosome segregation: Insights from studies on MukB, SeqA and the P1 Par proteins"
- Piet de Boer, Case Western Reserve U School of Medicine, Cleveland
"Positioning of the division septum in E.coli"
- Alan Grossman, MIT, Cambridge
"Bacterial chromosome partitioning and replication"
- Business Meeting/Coffee
- Abby Dernburg, Stanford U School of Medicine
"Chromosome pairing and segregation during C. elegans meiosis"
- Terry Orr-Weaver, MIT, Cambridge
"Sister-chromatid cohesion and segregation"
chair: Shirleen Roeder
|Aug 5, Thursday 9 AM||VIII. Chromosomes and the Cell Cycle|
- Shirleen Roeder, Yale U, New Haven
"Morphogenesis and function of meiotic chromosomes and coordination with meiotic cell cycle progression"
- Orna Cohen-Fix, NIDDK, NIH, Bethesda
"Dual roles of Pds1p: Regulation of anaphase initiation and exit from mitosis"
- Lenny Guarente, MIT, Cambridge
"Chromosomal changes and aging"
- Ken Keiler, Stanford U
"Spatial and temporal regulation of DNA replication during a bacterial cell cycle"
- Allan Spradling, Carnegie Inst of Washington, Baltimore
"Polytene chromosomes as tools for analyzing chromosome structure"
chair: Jim Broach
|Aug 5, Thursday 3:30 PM||IX. Chromosome Silencing|
- Jim Broach, Princeton U
"DNA rearrangements during mating type interconversion in Saccharomyces"
- Dale Dorsett, Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York
"Long distance enhancer-promoter interactions in Drosophila"
- Michael Grunstein, U of California, Los Angeles
"Histone deacetylase functions in yeast"
- Hiroshi Nakai, Georgetown U Medical Center, Washington DC
"Phage Mu transposition: Mechanisms for duplex opening on a recombination intermediate"
- Lorraine Pillus, U of California, San Diego
"Connecting histone acetylation to cell cycle progression"