Sunday, July 20th
Epithelial Cell Adhesion - 7:30-10:30
Fiona Watt - Discussion Leader
- James Nelson - "Roles of Cell Adhesion and Protein Sorting in Epithelial Morphogenesis"
- John Stanley - "Phenotype of Desmoglein 3 Knockout Mice Resembles That of Pemphigus Vulgaris Patients"
- Arnoud Sonnenberg - "Hemidesmosome Formation: Roles of alpha6ß4 and BP180"
Monday, July 21st
Group Photo 8:30
The Cytoskeleton and Adherens Junctions - 9:00-12:30
Pam Cowin - Discussion Leader
- Elaine Fuchs - "Functions of the Epidermal Cytoskeleton"
- Walter Birchmeier - "Tbe Role of beta catenin in Cadherin Signalling"
- Kathy Green - "Making and Breaking Cell-Cell Junctions"
Poster Session 1
Monday, July 21st (Evening Session)
Issues Rising I - 7.30-10:30
Fiona Watt - Chair
- Sergey Litvinov - "EP-CAM as a Regulator of Epithelial Cell Proliferation"
- Stephen Sugrue - "Desmosome Associated Protein, PININ: It's Role in the Regulation of Epithelial Cell Adhesion"
- Susan Hopkinson - "Interaction of Type XVII Collagen (BPI80) and the alpha6 Integrin Subunit is Necessary for Stabilization of the Structural Integrity of the Hemidesmosome"
- William Carter - "A New Cytoplasmic Component of Type I and II Hemidesmosomes of Epithelial Cells that is Expressed but Disorganized in a Patient with Epidermolysis Bullosis Simplex (EBS) Combined with Muscular Dystrophy (MD)."
Monday, July 21st (Evening Session) (cont.)
Issues Rising I
Jackie Bickenbach - Chair
- Ian Mackenzie - "Clonal Structure of Murine and Human Epidermis Demonstrated by Retroviral Transduction"
- Printinder Kaur - "Identification of candidate human keratinocyte stem cells"
- Petra Boukamp - "Telomerase, Expressed by Epidermal Transit Amplifying Cells but Not by Stem Cells, is Regulated by Calcium"
- Alberto Gandarillas - "c-myc stimulates differentiation of human keratinocytes by promoting departure from the stem cell compartment"
Tuesday, July 22nd
Development and Cancer - 9:00-12:30
Ervin Epstein - Discussion Leader
- Anthony Oro - "'The Role of Patched and Hedgehog in Skin Development and Cancer"
- Mark Peifer - "Cell Adhesion, Signal Transduction and Cancer: The Armadillo Connection"
- Allen Bale - "Molecular Genetics of Basal Cell Carcinoma"
Poster Session II
Tuesday, July 22nd (Evening Session)
Issues Rising II - 7:30-10:30
Tom Sargent - Chair
Sherri Bale - Chair
- Kevin McGowan - "Expression of Keratins 6 and 17 During Embryogenesis: Parallels Between Epithelial Development and Wound Repair"
- Jose Jorcano - "Overexpression of VEGF/VPF in Skin of Transgenic Mice Induces Angiogenesis, Vascular Hyperpermeability and Accelerated Tumor Developmenf'
- Maria Morasso - "Regulation of Epidermal Differentiation by a Distal-less Homeodomain Gene"
- Sarah Millar - "Expression and Transgenic Studies of WNT3 Signaling in the Control of Hair Growth and Differentiation"
- Bernhard Korge - "Point Mutation in the Helix Termination Peptide (HTP) of Human Type H Hair Keratin hHb6 Causes Monilethrix in Three Families"
- Henry Hennings - "Multigenic Control of Skin Carcinogenesis in Inbred Sencar Mice: Evidence for Predisposition Loci on Chromosomes 5, 9 and 11 and Tumor Suppression Loci on Chromosomes 5 and 9"
- Frances Smith - "Missense and in-fraine Deletion Mutations in Human K16 Can Cause Severe or Mild Disease Phenotypes"
- Philip Fleckman & John Compton - "Cellular and Molecular Studies of Ichthyosis Vulgaris"
Wednesday, July 23rd
Skin Immununology and Inflammation - 9:00-12:30
Tom Kupper - Discussion Leader
- Joseph Carroll - "Immunological Implications of Transgenic IFN-Y Expression"
- John Ansel - "The Role of the Neurological System in Cutaneous Inflammation"
- John Lowe - "Epithelial Immune Function Defects in Fucosyltransferase Mutant Mice"
Poster Session III
Wednesday, July 23rd (Evening Session)
Issues Rising III - 7:30-I0:30
Peter Steinert - Chair
M. Blumenberg - Chair
- Richard Eckert - "SI00AII, SI00AI0, Annexin I, Desmosomal Proteins, SPRS, Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor-2, and Involucrin are Components of the Cornified Envelope of Cultured Human Epiderrnal Keratinocytes"
- Katheryn Resing - "Evidence that Solubilization of Profilaggrin at Terminal Differentiation Involves Phosphorylation by Epidermal PKC?".
- Dietmar Mischke - "The Human Epidermal Differentiation Complex (EDC) in 1q21"
- Fiona Watt - "Envoplakin and Periplakin: Two Components of the Cornified Envelope that Belong to The Desmoplakin/Plectin Family of Proteins"
- Claude Backendorf - "Transcriptional Regulation of SPRR Genes"
- Bogi Anderson - "Functions of the POU Domain Genes skin-1a/i and Tst-1 in Epidermal Differentiation"
- Marjana Tomic-Canic - "Mechanisms of Keratin Gene Regulation by Nuclear Receptors"
- Paul A. Khavari - "Regulation of Epithelial Growth by Nf-kB/rel Proteins"
Thursday, July 24th
Signaling Pathways - 9:00-12:30
Paolo Dotto - Discussion Leader
- Tony Hunter - "Transmembrane Signaling by Tyrosine Phosphorylation"
- Chris Glass - "Mechanisms of Transcriptional Activation and Repression by Retinoic Acid Receptors"
- Gerald Crabtree - "From Membrane to Membrane to Nucleus, Signaling via the Ca2+/Calcineurin/NF-AT Pathway"
Thursday, July 24th (Evening Session)
Cell Cycle, Cell Death and Tumorigenesis - 7.30-10:30
Stuart Yuspa - Discussion Leader
- Karen Vousden - "Regulation of Cell Growth and Death by p53"
- Gerard Evan - "Corruption of Mitogenic and Survival Signalling Pathways in Cancer Cells"
- Allan Balmain - "Genetic Determinants of Skin Tumor Progression"