Sunday, July 1
|Session 1:|| Conference Overview|
- Introduction to Conference
Chair: Carol Cass, University of Alberta
Vice-Chair: Jack Secrist, Southern Research Institute
- Keynote Address: "Nucleoside therapeutics: chemistry, biology and applications"
Yung-chi (Tommy) Cheng, Yale University School of Medicine
Monday, July 2
Organizer: Steven E. Ealick, Cornell University
8:30 am - 12 noon
| Nucleotide Metabolism: Structural Biology and Therapeutics|
Discussion Leader: Thomas I. Kalman, University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
- Ning Wu, University of Toronto & the Ontario Cancer Institute
"Pyrimidine biosynthesis: OMP decarboxylase"
- Ian Wilson, The Scripps Research Institute
"Purine biosynthesis: AICAR transformylase & IMP cyclohydrolase (ATIC)"
- Steve Ealick, Cornell University
"Purine Salvage: nucleoside phosphorylases"
- Hans Eklund, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
"Nucleoside kinases: deoxyguanosine kinase"
Lunch Meeting of Past GRC Chairs
Poster Session I (setup)
Poster Session I: Chemistry, Biological Evaluation
Organizer: Carol Cass, University of Alberta
|Session 3:|| Cellular Uptake: Mechanisms and Therapeutic Strategies|
Discussion Leader: James D. Young, University of Alberta
- John R. Mackey, University of Alberta
"Gemcitabine transport and resistance"
- Scott M. Landfear, Oregon Health Sciences University
"Nucleoside transporters of protozoan parasites"
- Arnold Fridland, Gilead Sciences, and Gary D. Kruh, Fox Chase Cancer Center
"MRPs and resistance to purine nucleotide analogs"
Tuesday, July 3
Organizer: Staffan Eriksson, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
|Session 4:|| Impact of Mitochondrial Biology on Therapeutic Strategies|
Discussion Leader: Staffan Eriksson
- Staffan Ericksson, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
"The role of the cellular deoxynucleoside kinases in mitochondrial toxicity"
- Amos Cohen, Hospital for Sick Children & University of Toronto
"PNP deficiency and mitochondrial metabolism and apoptosis"
- Lorenzo Leoni, University of California San Diego
"Regulation of apoptosis by nucleoside analogs"
- William Lewis, Emory University School of Medicine
"Mitochondrial toxicity of nucleoside analogs: insights from in vitro and in vivo studies
Poster Session II (setup)
Poster Session II: Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
Organizer: Bill Plunkett, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
|Session 5:|| Anticancer Therapies|
Discussion Leader: Donna Shewach, University of Michigan
- Bill Plunkett, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
"Nucleoside analogs: novel cell-cycle dependent mechanisms"
- Timothy J. Kinsella, University Hospitals of Cleveland & Case Western Reserve University
"Nucleoside analogs and radiosensitization"
- Roger J. Griffin, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
"Inhibitors of cyclin dependent kinases"
Wednesday, July 4
Organizer: Raymond F. Schinazi, VA Medical Center & Emory University School of Medicine
Discussion Leader: Phillip A. Furman, Triangle Pharmaceuticals
|Session 6:|| Antiviral Therapies|
- Ray Schinazi, VA Medical Center & Emory University School of Medicine
"What research is needed to facilitate the next wave of HIV and HBV Therapeutics?"
- Karen Anderson, Yale University School of Medicine
"Insights into the molecular mechanism of inhibition and toxicity of nucleoside analogs that target HIV-1 reverse transcriptase"
- Walter A. Scott, University of Miami School of Medicine
"Unblocking of chain-terminated DNA by HIV reverse transcriptase: a role in drug sensitivity"
- Joyce Fingeroth, Harvard Institute of Medicine
"Strategies for therapy of gammaherpesvirus-associated disease"
Poster Session III (setup)
Poster Session III: Structural Biology, Molecular Pharmacology and Therapeutic Strategies
Organizer: C.C. Wang, University of California San Franciso
|Session 7:|| Antiprotozoan therapeutics|
Discussion Leader: Buddy Ullman, Oregon Health Sciences University
- Stephen Beverley, Washington University
"The unique folate metabolism in Leishmania"
- C.C. Wang, University of California San Francisco
- Lizbeth Hedstrom, Brandeis University
"IMPDH from Tritrichomonas"
Thursday, July 5
Organizer: Muthiah (Mano) Manoharan, ISIS Pharmaceuticals
|Session 8:|| Oligonucleotides and Therapeutics|
Discussion Leader: Larry W. McLaughlin, Boston College
- Mano Manoharan, ISIS Pharmaceuticals
"Antisense technology: biological challenges and chemical solutions"
- Mike Gait, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology
"Peptide conjugates of oligonucleotide analogues: synthesis and cell delivery"
- Wojciech J. Stec, Centre of Molecular and Macromolecular Studies, Polish Academy of Sciences
"P-Chirality of oligo(deoxyribonucleoside phosphorothioate)s: from stereocontrolled synthesis to biological relevance
- Jyoti Chattopadhyaya, University of Uppsala
"RNase H Cleavage of the Antisense Oligo/RNA Hybrid Duplex: What do we understand about the design-critera of the Antisense oligo?"
Conference Business Meeting
Election of Vice-Chair for 2003
Organizer & Discussion Leader: Jack Secrist, Southern Research Institute
|Thursday, July 5|
| Recent Advances, New Agents, New Strategies|
This session will consist of presentations selected from abstracts submitted by participants in the conference.
- Susan Daluge, Glaxo Wellcome, Inc.
"Discovery of potent anti-inflammatory purines with a novel mechanism of action"
- Krzysztof W. Pankiewicz, Pharmasset, Inc.
"NAD Analogues as Inhibitors of IMPDH: Design, Synthesis, and Biological Activity"
- Pamela J. Focia, Northwestern University Medical School
"Near transition state crystal structures of hypoxanthine phosphoribosyltransferases"·
- Suzanne Peyrottes, Université de Montpellier II
"Transient phosphate protecting groups: variation in the SATE series"
Friday, July 6