1. Structure, function and interaction of red cell membrane proteins.
- Chair -- Joel Chasis, (Lawrence Berkeley),"Red cell membrane proteins: crossroads of structure and signal transduction."
- Pat Williamson, (Amherst), "Cloning and characterization of the phosholipid flipase."
- Samuel Lux, (Harvard), "Rescue of band 3 knockout mice with band 3 domain fusion proteins."
- Mohandas Narla, (Lawrence Berkeley), "Characterization of protein 4.1 knockout mice."
- Michael Tanner, (University of Bristol), Molecular determinants of band 3 structure and its interaction with glycophorin."
2. Erythrocyte proteins in nonerythroid cells
- Chair -- Jon Morrow, (Yale), "Ankyrin isoforms associated with internal organellar membranes."
- Velia Fowler, (Scripps Institute), "Regulation of actin-filament length."
- Vann Bennett, (Duke), "Ankyrin isoforms and functions in the brain."
- Peter Agre, (Johns Hopkins), "Structure and function of aquaporins."
- Athar Chishti, (St. Elizabeth Hospital, Boston), "p55 and its nonerythroid homologues."
3. Hematopoiesis I: Origin of hematopoietic stem cells.
- Chair -- Elaine Dzierzac, (NIMR, London), "Origin of the murine hematopoietic stem cell."
- Gordon Keller, (National Jewish Center, Denver), "Embryonic hematopoiesis."
- Len Zon, (Children's Hospital, Boston), "Early hematopoiesis in non-mammalian vertebrates."
- Roger Patient, (King's College, London), "Blood cell development in Xenopus
- Thomas Graf, (Heidelberg), "Control of lineage programming in hematopoietic cells."
4. Hematopoiesis II: Hematopoietic lineage development.
- Chair -- Stuart Orkin, (Harvard), "Regulatory circuitry for hematopoietic development."
- Nancy Speck, (Dartmouth), "Biochemistry and function of core binding factor in definitive hematopoiesis and leukemia."
- Katia Georgopoulos, (Harvard), "Role of Ikaros in hematopoietic cell fate."
- Harinder Singh, (U. Chicago), "PU.1 in hematopoietic lineage commitment."
- Yuan Zhuang, (Duke), "Function of E2A in hematopoiesis."
5. Signal transduction in hematopoietic cells.
- Chair -- Phillip Low, (Purdue), "Molecular communication between red cells and platelets."
- Yuichi Takakuwa, (Tokyo Women’s Medical University), "Regulation of membrane skeletal interactions by protein 4.1."
- Harvey Lodish, (MIT), "Erythropoietin receptor signal transduction."
- David Anstee, (Bristol), "Red cell receptors involved in signalling and cell adhesion"
- Marilyn Telen, (Duke), "Role of the Lu antigen in red cell adhesion."
6. Control of red cell gene expression I: Overcoming chromatin repression
- Chair -- Beverly Emerson, (Salk Institute, La Jolla), "Tissue-specific regulation of the human ß-globin gene locus in chromatin assembly systems in vitro"
- Doug Higgs, (Oxford), "Long range chromatin structure and alpha-globin gene expression."
- Vince Pirrotta, (U. of Geneva), "Repressive chromatin domains and differential gene expression".
- David Martin, (FHCRC, Seattle), "Cis sequences that suppress position effect variegation".
- Ken Zaret, (Brown University), "Chromatin structure and liver-specific transcriptional regulation."
- Janine Lasalle, (Harvard), "The role of nuclear organization in parental imprinting."
- Peter Fraser, (Erasmus, Rotterdam), "Mechanisms of developmental regulation in multi-gene loci"
7. Control of red cell gene expression II: Control of globin gene expression
- Chair -- Mark Groudine (FHCRC, Seattle), "What does the Locus Control Region (LCR) actually control?"
- Emma Whitelaw, (Univ. Sidney), "Epigenetic effects on transgene expression in mice."
- J. Douglas Engel, (Northwestern), "Control of globin gene expression and switching by LCR and gene proximal elements."
- Frank Grosveld, (Erasmus, Rotterdam), "ß-globin LCR directed transcription"
- George Stamatoyannopoulos, (Univ. Wash.), "Analysis of cis elements and trans factors involved in human globin gene switching."
- Dorothy Tuan, (Medical College of Georgia), "A transcription mechanism of HS2 enhancer function."
- James Bieker, (Mt. Sinai, N.Y.), "ELKF and erythroid-specific transcription."
8. Red cell diseases.
- Chair -- Griffin Rodgers, (NIH), "Clinical trials of therapies for sickle cell disease."
- Cheryl Hillary, (Southwestern Wisconsin Blood Center), "Adhesion of sickle cells to endothelial cells."
- Chris Patzy, (Lawrence Berkeley), "Sickle cell disease in transgenic/knock-out mice expressing exclusively human sickle hemoglobin."
- Irwin Sherman (U.C. Riverside), "Erythrocyte proteins involved in malarial parasite adhesion."
- Dror Baruch, (NIH), "Cloning and characterization of the adhesion receptor on malaria-infected erythrocytes."
9. Late Breaking Stories & Short Talks from Poster Presentations