SUNDAY, JULY 6, EVENING: 7:30 - 10:00 pm
SKELETAL DISEASE: ACADEMIC, MEDICAL AND INDUSTRIAL CROSSROADS
Maxine Gowen, King of Prussia, PA, Discussion Leader
- Joan McGowan, Bethesda, MD - "Priorities, partnerships, and promises: the women’s health initiative and beyond"
- Mark Nuttall, King of Prussia, PA - "Idoxifene: a unique tissue-selective estrogen agonist/antagonist"
- Donald McDonnell, Durham, NC - "Molecular mechanisms of estrogen-receptor interactions"
MONDAY, JULY 7, MORNING: 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
THE CARTILAGE BONE TRANSITION
Gordon Strewler, San Franciso, CA, Discussion Leader
- Benoit St.-Jacques, Cambridge, MA - "Role of Indian hedgehog signaling in endochondral ossification"
- Gino Segre, Boston, MA - "Interrelationships of PTH receptors with indian hedgehog and IGF-I in the chondrocyte development program"
- David Ornitz, St. Louis, MO - "Regulation of chondrogenesis by fibroblast growth factor receptors"
MONDAY, JULY 7, EVENING: 7:30 - 10:00 pm
Larry Fisher, Bethesda, MD, Discussion Leader
- Linda Demer, Los Angeles, CA - "A skeleton in the atherosclerosis closet"
- Vincent Castronovo, Liege, Belgium - "Bone proteins in breast cancer and their implication in microcalcification and metastasis"
- Frederick Kaplan, Philadelphia, PA - "Molecular and cellular control of fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva (FOP)"
- Marc McKee, Montreal, Canada - "Spontaneous calcification of arteries and cartilage in mice lacking matrix gla protein"
- Mara Riminucci, Rome, Italy - "In vivo and in vitro characterization of fibrous dysplasia of bone in McCune-Albright Syndrome"
- Willi Jahnen-Dechent, Mainz, Germany - "Targeted deletion of fetuin gene impairs inhibition of apatite formation by serum and bone mineralization in ribs"
TUESDAY, JULY 8, MORNING: 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
THE SYMBIOSIS OF BONE AND BLOOD
Pamela Gehron Robey, Bethesda, MD, Discussion Leader
- Paolo Bianco, Rome, Italy - "The bone marrow organ: functional analysis from a histological and pathological perspective"
- Mary Jo Doherty, Manchester, UK - "Identification of genes expressed during the osteogenic differentiation of vascular pericytes in vitro"
- Paul Kincaid, Oklahoma City, OK - "Molecular dissection of the bone marrow microenvironment"
- Paul Simmons, Adelaide, Australia - "Differentiation potential of stroma and its impact on the bone microenvironment"
- Robert Jilka, Little Rock, AR - "New insights on the regulation of osteoblast development from mesenchymal stem cells"
TUESDAY, JULY 8, EVENING: 7:30 - 10:00 pm
CELL COMMUNICATION: THE OSTEOCYTE AND OSTEOBLAST
Tim Skerry, York, England, Discussion Leader
- Brendan Noble, Cambridge, UK - "Apoptosis in osteocytes"
- Peter Nijweide Leiden, The Netherlands - "Osteocyte isolation and in vitro cell culture: a powerful approach to understand osteocyte function"
- Henry Donahue, Hershey, PA - "Gap junctional intercellular communication in bone"
- Andy Pitsillides, London, UK - "Mechanically regulated nitric oxide signalling in bone"
- Paul Genever, York, UK - "Expression and function of glutamate receptors in bone"
WED, JULY 9, MORNING: 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
THE RELATIONSHIP OF THE OSTEOBLAST AND OSTEOCLAST
F. Patrick Ross, St. Louis, MO, Discussion Leader
- Jack Martin, Melbourne, Australia - "Interleukin 18: a T-cell cytokine regulating osteoclast differentiation"
- René St. Arnaud Montréal, Canada - "Novel regulators of gene transcription during mesenchymal differentiation"
- Mehrdad Tondravi, St Louis, MO - " Regulation of osteoclastogenesis by the myeloid transcription factor PU.1"
- Gerard Karsenty, Houston, TX - "Transcriptional control of osteoblast differentiation"
WED, JULY 9 EVENING: 7:30 - 10:00 pm
GROWTH FACTORS AND HORMONES
Ernesto Canalis, Hartford, CT, Discussion Leader
- Peter Rotwein, Seattle, WA - "Hormonal Control of IGF I"
- Rik Derynck, San Francisco, CA - "TGF-ß function in bone"
- William Boyle, Thousand Oaks, CA - "Osteoprotegerin (OGP): a novel glycoprotein that regulates bone resorption"
THURS, JULY 10, MORNING: 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
THE DEVELOPMENT OF BONES AND TEETH: A COMMON MOTIF?
Irma Thesleff, Helsinki, Finland, Discussion Leader
- Paul Sharpe, London, England - "Homeobox genes in early tooth development"
- Marianna Bei, Boston, MA - "Multiple roles of Msx-genes in inductive interactions during tooth development"
- Bjorn Olsen, Boston, MA - "Molecular genetics of skeletal patterning and growth"
- Rena d'Souza, Houston, TX - "TGF-ß1 in tooth and bone formation"
- Arthur Broadus, New Haven, CT - "Parathyroid hormon-related protein regulates the rate of cellular programs of differentiation in multiple sites: evidence from null, overexpression and rescued mouse models"
- Paul Krebsbach, Ann Arbor, Michican - "Novel genes expressed in enamel and their potential role in tooth function and formation"
- Carolyn Gibson, Philadelphia, PA - "DNA sequences of amelogenin genes provide clues to regulation of expression"
THURSDAY, JULY 10: 7:30 pm
- Noreen Tuross, Smithsonian, Washington, DC - "Bones and teeth: an ancient genetic repository"