Sunday, August 2, 1998
Discussion Leader: Bruce Demple, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts
- James Shapleigh, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York - "Regulation of nitric oxide metabolism during denitrification"
- Gisella Storz, NICHD, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland - "Regulation of the E. coli response to hydrogen peroxide"
- Valerie Culotta, Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene, Baltimore, Maryland - "Superoxide dismutase and oxidative stress: new insights from yeast"
Monday, August 3, 9:00 AM
Discussion Leader: Anne O. Summers, U. of Georgia, Athens, Georgia
- Barry Rosen, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan - "As(III)/Sb(III) and Zn(II)/Cd(II) regulation and transport in Escherichia coli"
- J. Colin Murrell, Dept. of Biological Sciences, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK - "Regulation of bacterial methane oxidation by copper ions"
- Dennis J. Thiele, U. of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan - "Signaling to the transcriptional machinery in response to copper starvation and toxicity"
- Mihaela Serpe, SUNY at Buffalo - "MDR1 is required for recovery from copper stress in Saccharomyces cerevisiae"
Monday, August 3, 7:30 PM
ION and pH STRESS
Discussion Leader: Joan L. Slonczewski, Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio
- Ian Booth, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland - "Relief from stress by controlled release of potassium ions"
- John W. Foster, College of Medicine, U. of S. Alabama, Mobile, AL - "The acid tolerance response of Salmonella typhimurium: strategic defense or panic attack?"
Tuesday, August 4, 9:00 AM PM
Discussion Leader: Eduardo A. Groisman, Washington U. School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri
- John J. Mekalanos, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts - "Pathogen responses to the host environment: an overview"
- Patti Rosa, NIEAD, NIH - "Adaptive responses, confirmed and putative, in the mouse-tick transmission cycle of Borrelia burgdorferi"
- B.J. Appelmelk, The Free Univ. of Amsterdam, The Netherlands - "Pathogenesis of H. pylori infections: role of LPS"
- Daniel Hassett, U. of Cincinnati College of Medicine - "Control of catalase KatA and iron superoxide dismutase by the quorum sensing circuitry in Pseudomonas aeruginosa: catalase is important in resistance of biofilm organisms to hydrogen peroxide"
Tuesday, August 4, 7:30 PM
REGULATION OF ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE
Discussion Leader: Stuart B. Levy, Tufts Medical School
- Alexander Neyfakh, U. of Illinois, Chicago - "Regulators of multidrug transporters in B. subtilis"
- Abigail Salyers, University of Illinois - "Sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll -- bacterial style"
- Cheryl Whistler, Oregon State University - "Stress response and antibiotic production are co-regulated in Pseudomonas fluorescens Pf-5"
Wednesday, August 5, 9:00 AM
RESPONSES TO DNA DAMAGE
Discussion Leader: Roberto Kolter, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
- Corwin Kostrub, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts - "Cell cycle checkpoints in fission yeast"
- John R. Battista, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana - "Survival strategies of Deinococcus radiodurans"
- Jeffrey H. Miller, UCLA, Los Angeles, California - "Mutators and selection in cell populations"
- Robert Quivey, Jr., U. Rochester, NY - "Induction of an AP endonuclease in S. mutans during growth at low pH"
Wednesday, August 5, 7:30 PM
Discussion Leader: Janet Westpheling, Univ. of Georgia, Athens, Georgia
- Regine Hengge-Aronis, University of Konstanz, Konstanz, Germany - "Regulation of the cellular RpoS level in E. coli"
- Jonathan Millar, National Inst. for Medical Research, London, UK - "The stress activated MAP kinase pathways of budding and fission yeasts"
- Debby Siegele, Texas A&M - "Proteins synthesized during recovery from stavation in E. coli"
Thursday, August 6, 9:00 AM
GLOBAL ANALYSIS OF STRESS RESPONSE
Discussion Leader: Mary Lidstrom, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
- Julia LaRoche, Brookhaven National Lab, Upton, New York - "In situ markers to detect micro- and macronutrient stress in marine phytoplankton"
- Douglas B. Kell, Institute of Biological Sciences, U. of Wales, Aberstwyth, UK - "Dormancy and social resuscitation in nonsporulating bacteria: a molecular wake-up call"
- Robert LaRossa, DuPont-Merck, Wilmington, Delaware - "Chemicals, stress and genetics at the intersection of fundamental and applied science"
- Christine White-Ziegler, Smith College, Northampton, MA - "Thermoregulation of E. coli pap transcription: H-NS is a temperature-dependent DNA methylation blocking factor"
Thursday, August 6, 7:30 PM
COMPLEX SENSING SYSTEMS FOR PHYSIOLOGICAL REGULATION
Discussion Leader: Sydney Kustu, U.C. Berkeley
- Valerie Oke, Stanford University - "Rhizobium bacteroid development in response to entry into a host plant cell"
- Barbel Friedrich, Institute for Biology/Microbiology, Humboldt University of Berlin - "Control of facultative energy metabolism by a metal dependent hydrogen sensing system"
- Robert Gunsalus, UCLA - "Oxygen control of electron transport and TCA cycle pathway genes"
- Sydney Kutsu, "Acquisition of ammonium by enteric bacteria: physiological role of AmtB"